History of the Practice

The Grange Dental Practice was founded in the 1930's by Mr C.V. Armitage and has always followed the principle of providing high quality care in a relaxed and understanding environment.

Colin Victor Armitage came to England from Pietermaritzburgh in South Africa. He met his wife, Dr Edith Armitage at Edinburgh University; when she became a partner in the Norton Medical Centre 'Vic' founded our practice.  In the early days he even lived 'above shop' and their dining room has eventually become surgery 6.

As the two careers gathered pace Mr Armitage became a prominent part of Norton Life with his involvement in the Norton Sports and Social Clubs as well as becoming a local councillor.  Eventually the Armitage's moved into more permanent accommodation and had four children John,  Jean, Audrey and Anthony.  John qualified as a dentist and after his national service joined the practice as a partner in 1958.  Both Jean and Audrey also became dentists and spent some time working for the family business.

Eventually the practice grew and more partners joined.  Stuart Scott qualified from Edinburgh University in 1967 and worked in the practice until his untimely death in 1998, Mr Scott is still fondly remembered by both patients and staff alike.  Derek Barlow joined the practice in 1971 after a seven year stint in the dental department of the ICI company and many of his patients followed him and we continue to treat their families today.

Along the way Peter Hanson joined the practice first as a partner and eventually becoming the sole owner in 1998.  Peter worked tirelessly for the community both as a dentist but also raising funds for charity, his philanthropy extended to the underprivileged of Africa when he visited Uganda to provide dental treatment in remote villages.

In 2011 Peter finally decided to hang up his spurs and a fairly rare event in dentistry occurred when Paul Woodhouse, Nikki Nedelec and Roy Anthony formed a partnership of dentist, therapist and hygienist and took over the running of the practice. Paul, Nikki and Roy had a combined service of 40 years within the Practice. 

Present day

In 2014, Paul Woodhouse became the sole owner of the Practice. He has served local patients for over 15 years, and has built many great relationships with his valued patients, and those of the other dentists within the Practice.

Ruth Woodhouse also joined the Practice in 2014 as Business Manager, to oversee Patient Care within the Practice. We are proud to be a family run Practice, and work hard to maintain great clinical standards without losing that 'personal touch' that has been offered within the Practice for many generations.

Together with the whole Practice team, Ruth and Paul are working  together to modernise the Practice, whilst retaining the friendly and relaxed 'non corporate' atmosphere. Recent improvements have included full digitisation of the Practice (including patient records and x rays) and a full surgery re-fit (including low noise drills, ceiling mounted TV and massage chair options).

We take pride in taking care of our team and our patients, and have a programme of professional development support to help our team achieve their personal and career goals.

If you have any further suggestions on how we can further improve patient care within the Practice, please do call or e mail us, and we will gladly consider your requests.